Current:Home > Scams50 Cent Producing Netflix Docuseries on Diddy's Sex Trafficking, Racketeering Charges -Capitatum
50 Cent Producing Netflix Docuseries on Diddy's Sex Trafficking, Racketeering Charges
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 19:07:18
Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson is going to be asking 21 questions about Sean "Diddy" Combs' legal case.
The "In Da Club" rapper has teamed up with Netflix to produce a docuseries about the Bad Boy Records founder's sex trafficking and racketeering charges, as well as allegations of sexual assault and sexual misconduct.
And those aren't the only details from the upcoming documentary, which was commissioned earlier this year but has yet to be given an official release date. Alongside 50 Cent, the show will be executive produced and directed by Alexandria Stapleton.
Plus, viewers can expect a deep dive into every aspect of the ongoing federal case surrounding Diddy, who was taken into custody on Sept. 16 on charges of racketeering conspiracy, sex trafficking and transportation to engage in prostitution, according to an unsealed indictment obtained by NBC News. The charges arrived after Combs faced allegations of sexual misconduct in lawsuits filed by multiple accusers starting last November, all of which the 54-year-old has since denied.
“This is a story with significant human impact," Alexandria and 50 Cent said in a joint Sept. 25 statement. "It is a complex narrative spanning decades, not just the headlines or clips seen so far. We remain steadfast in our commitment to give a voice to the voiceless and to present authentic and nuanced perspectives."
And while the producers noted that Diddy's allegations are "disturbing," they also feel strongly that it does not reflect the message of hip-hop as a whole. As the statement explained, "We aim to ensure that individual actions do not overshadow the culture’s broader contributions.”
E! News reached out to Diddy's rep for comment on the docuseries but has not heard back. E! also reached out to Netflix for comment.
Following the announcement, 50 Cent expressed his excitement to take on a project about the "I'll Be Missing You" rapper, who pleaded not guilty on all charges after his arrest, was denied bail by a judge and was placed on suicide watch inside Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center.
"Only 250 million people watching Netflix," the "Candy Shop" rapper wrote on Instagram Sept. 25 alongside a screenshot of an article confirming the docuseries. "This is a pretty good deal who’s idea was this LOL."
For more on Diddy’s legal struggles, read on.
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
Federal agents with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) executed search warrants at Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Los Angeles and Miami properties on March 25, multiple law enforcement sources confirmed to NBC News.
The sources told the outlet the warrant was out of the Southern District of New York, and a spokesperson for HSI New York confirmed to E! News it “executed law enforcement actions as part of an ongoing investigation, with assistance from HSI Los Angeles, HSI Miami, and our local law enforcement partners.”
Law enforcement sources told NBC News the music mogul was in the Miami area when the search warrants were executed.
News about the investigation broke after Combs faced allegations of sexual misconduct in lawsuits filed by multiple accusers starting in November, with the musician denying the allegations.
“Sickening allegations have been made against me by individuals looking for a quick payday,” he wrote in a December statement posted on Instagram. “Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth.”
The day after HSI executed the search warrants at Combs' L.A. and Miami properties, his lawyer spoke out.
"Yesterday, there was a gross overuse of military-level force as search warrants were executed at Mr. Combs' residences," attorney Aaron Dyer said in a March 26 statement to E! News. "There is no excuse for the excessive show of force and hostility exhibited by authorities or the way his children and employees were treated."
Dyer noted Combs “was never detained but spoke to and cooperated with authorities.”
“Despite media speculation, neither Mr. Combs nor any of his family members have been arrested nor has their ability to travel been restricted in any way,” his lawyer's statement continued. “This unprecedented ambush—paired with an advanced, coordinated media presence—leads to a premature rush to judgment of Mr. Combs and is nothing more than a witch hunt based on meritless accusations made in civil lawsuits.”
And Dyer expressed Combs' intent to defend himself.
“There has been no finding of criminal or civil liability with any of these allegations,” he added. “Mr. Combs is innocent and will continue to fight every single day to clear his name.”
As for what actually went down during the searches, multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the warrant told NBC News authorities with the Department of Homeland Security seized phones from Combs’ home in Miami before he was scheduled to travel to the Bahamas, and several sources familiar with the matter added that guns were discovered during the search.
One source familiar with the matter also told NBC News three women and one man were interviewed by prosecutors and investigators from the Southern District of New York about allegations of sex trafficking, sexual assault, the solicitation and distribution of illegal narcotics and firearms purportedly tied to Combs.
On the same day the search warrants were executed at Combs’ Miami and Los Angeles properties, one of his associates, Brendan Paul, was arrested by the Miami-Dade police on suspicion of drug possession, a law enforcement source familiar with the matter told NBC News.
According to the Miami-Dade arrest affidavit obtained by the outlet, Paul was taken into custody for allegedly possessing suspected cocaine and suspected marijuana candy.
Prison records obtained by NBC News show Paul was released on March 26 after posting bond.
“We do not plan on trying this case in the media,” Paul’s attorney Brian Bieber said in a statement obtained by the outlet, “all issues will be dealt with in court.”
In May, Paul accepted a plea deal, with his lawyer Bieber telling People, "Brendan accepted the prosecutor’s offer to permit his entry into the diversion program which, after completion, the case against him will be dismissed in its entirety."
He was arrested in the lobby of a New York hotel on Sept. 16, 2024, according to NBC News. It's unclear what Combs has been charged with and if the arrest has any potential connection to the raids.
“We are disappointed with the decision to pursue what we believe is an unjust prosecution of Mr. Combs by the U.S. Attorney’s Office," his lawyer Marc Agnifilo said in a statement to E! News. "He is an imperfect person but Is not criminal. To his credit Mr. Combs has been nothing but cooperative with this investigation and he voluntarily relocated to New York last week in anticipation of these charges."
After Combs was arrested based on the sealed indictment, the indictment was unsealed on Sept. 17.
The 54-year-old was charged with racketeering conspiracy; sex trafficking by force, fraud or coercion; as well as transportation to engage in prostitution, according to court documents obtained by NBC News.
The indictment alleged Combs “abused, threatened, and coerced women and others around him to fulfill his sexual desires, protect his reputation, and conceal his conduct” for more than a decade, with prosecutors saying the purported behavior started around 2008.
"To do so," the documents stated, "Combs relied on the employees, resources, and influence of the multi-faceted business empire that he led and controlled—creating a criminal enterprise whose members and associates engaged in, and attempted to engage in, among other crimes, sex trafficking, forced labor, kidnapping, arson, bribery, and obstruction of justice."
According to NBC News, Combs pleaded not guilty and was denied bail.
“He’s going to fight this with all of his energy and all of his might,” his attorney Marc Agnifilo told reporters outside the courthouse prior to the arraignment, “and the full confidence of his lawyers."
Following his arrest, Combs was held at the Brooklyn Metropolitan Detention Center where he was denied a $50 million bond. The music mogul was also placed on suicide watch, which a source told E! News is a customary procedure for high-profile inmates.
He was assigned the same area of the jail as cryptocurrency fraudster Sam Bankman-Fried, a source told NBC News.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (872)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Globe-trotting archeologist who drew comparisons to Indiana Jones dies at age 94
- Sister of Israeli hostage seen in harrowing video says world needs to see it, because people are forgetting
- At least 7 dead in Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas after severe weather roars across region
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Here Are The Best Deals From Wayfair's Memorial Day Sale 2024: Up to 83% Off Furniture, Appliances & More
- All-NBA snub doesn't really matter: Celtics are getting best of Jaylen Brown in NBA playoffs
- Caitlin Clark reminds people she's not just a scorer: 'It's not all about the shots'
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Walmart ends credit card partnership with Capital One, but shoppers can still use their cards
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- List of winners at the 77th Cannes Film Festival
- See How Kate Gosselin and Jon Gosselin's 8 Kids Have Grown Up Through the Years
- See How Kate Gosselin and Jon Gosselin's 8 Kids Have Grown Up Through the Years
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- NCAA athlete-pay settlement could mean 6-figure paychecks for top college players
- Jackie Robinson is rebuilt in bronze in Colorado after theft of statue from Kansas park
- See How Kate Gosselin and Jon Gosselin's 8 Kids Have Grown Up Through the Years
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Frontier CEO claims passengers are abusing wheelchair services to skip lines
Chiefs’ Butker has no regrets about expressing his beliefs during recent commencement speech
Senate Democrats seek meeting with Chief Justice John Roberts after Alito flag controversy
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
Deion's son Shilo Sanders facing legal mess after filing for bankruptcy
Sophia Bush Responds After New Pics With Ashlyn Harris Spark Engagement Rumors
Theater show spotlights the stories of those who are Asian American and Jewish